Monday, December 13, 2004

Rock Me, Joe.

I saw The Pixies last night at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC in their second show of a string of eight and had a ball.

I hadn't seen them since 1991, when they played on a barge on the water at Le Ronde amusement park in Montreal, opening for Love & Rockets. I remember they sounded great then, but then again I was so loaded on $2 Laurentide Beers that it could have been Corey Hart and Celine Dion up there instead of Black Francis and Kim Deal and I might not have noticed. I'd seen them twice prior to that in more coherent situations.

Last night they played about 30 songs in rapid fire sequence, all of which were killer. It wasn't until the very end of the show when Joey Santiago goofed up (possibly purposely), "La La Love You" that any of the songs sounded less than brilliant. I bought a double-CD copy of the show from Pixies Discs which should be delivered first week of January...that oughta be a hoot to load onto the iPod and re-live.

The crowd was a bit reserved, in typical New Yorky seen-it-all-fashion, but by the end of the night it looked like most of the place appropriately loosened up.

Kim Deal is still way cool.

Tickets were being sold on the street for a mere $20 before the show. It's always great to see the scalpers get scalped. At that price, I may try to catch them once more before the end of the run Saturday night.

More reviews can be found at the always excellent Brooklyn Vegan.

BTW, (like I don't have enough time to type "by-the-way"), they are on Letterman Tuesday night.

Here's how they looked at the first show, courtesy nytimes.com:

No comments: