Sunday, February 20, 2005

Tequila...Tool Of The Devil.

If you see me out and I'm ordering any sort of drink with Tequila as an ingredient, please stop me. Seriously. The older I get, the worse the hangover, and my Sunday mornings are way too valuable to be spent begging for mercy.

As if to prove that I don't need a hipster club or bar to enjoy myself, we met up with one of Kimberly's girlfriends from out of town at the notoriously unhip Gonzalez y Gonzalez downtown. I hadn't been there in about six years, but the bar is huge and I figured the big neon sombrero out front would make it easy for an out-of-towner to find. While waiting, I ordered a margarita (rocks/salt, of course), which was killer. It was just that one that I'm still feeling the effects of 14 hours later. I think I'm getting to the point where cures other than forfeiting the next day just don't work. So I guess it's time to forsake my beloved Mexican nectar for good. Or until the next picnic on a hot day.

The good news on the boozing front is that I discovered a new favorite beer at our second stop of the night, the Peculier Pub on Bleeker. Although a total frat-boy and drunk-girl joint, the Peculier has a menu of literally hundreds of beers from around the globe. I've always been a fan of Belhaven Ale from Scotland, but never had it from tap. Man, it's delicious. It's really creamy, like Boddingtons, and totally tasty.


Photo courtesy of Per at gefleolsellskap.com


Now, if I could find a bar with Belhaven on tap, less backwards-baseball cap-wearing-dudes, and a no-Tequila policy, I'm set.

No comments: