Sunday, March 05, 2006

Running Around Way Uptown...And Four Songs For Roadraces.

I ran my first road race of the year this morning, the Coogan's Salsa, Blues & Shamrocks 5K, which runs through Washington Heights, up Fort Washington Avenue from the armory, into Fort Tryon Park, and back. All kinds of musicians play along the way, which makes the crazy-hilly course a bit more bearable. It was just below freezing when the starter's horn went off, cold enough to chase the steel drum band away from their position just before the George Washington Bridge crossing after about twenty minutes of "Iko Iko" and similar tunes. My favorite performer was some older guy standing near 178th Street playing "Good Vibrations" by himself on trumpet.

Next race for me is the Scotland Run 10K, which is part of the Tartan Week celebration in honor of Scotland's longtime friendship with New York City. I think I'll listen to Aztec Camera, Orange Juice, Franz Ferdinand, and the Bay City Rollers while I run that one.

There was no need for an iPod at the race because of the good music on the street, but if I had one on, I might have listened to these songs for insipration:

Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers - "Roadrunner" mp3 buy
The Morning After Girls - "Run For Our Lives" mp3 buy
Jens Lekman - "Run Away With Me" mp3 buy
Velvet Underground - "Run Run Run" mp3 buy

No comments: