Tuesday, September 26, 2006

album review: My Morning Jacket - Okonokos

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos: Double Live Album

After releasing four albums that were each more remarkably greater than the last, MMJ has decided to throw all the good stuff into one two-disc live set, and a forthcoming DVD as well.

Although many live albums by bands of MMJ's rootsy style become jammy showcases of guitar wankology, Jim James and company don't really go nuts stretching these songs out beyond their welcome. After all, the best MMJ songs are already epic in their own ways...that live Dead-style jam stuff that other bands do would only dilute the beauty of songs like "One Big Holiday", "I Will Sing You Songs", and the set's closer, "Mahgeetah".

I've actually burned a disc previously of all my favorite MMJ tracks, and I must say that this album is a much more satisfying listen. And thankfully, this album doesn't have the pesky anti-iTunes software on it that kept buyers of their last album Z from enjoying that album's shimmer on their MP3 players and home computers.

My Morning Jacket Area Tour Dates
11/27 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
11/28 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
11/30 New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom
12/01 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
12/02 Boston, MA - Avalon Ballroom

Macktronic has a complete live My Morning Jacket set from High Sierra this past July here.

No comments: