Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Ting Tings @ Mercury Lounge, NYC, 3/18/08

One of the bands I didn't get a chance to catch at SXSW was The Ting Tings. I actually got up and into town to see them at 11:30 one morning after getting a text from Brooklyn Vegan, saying they were playing his party and going on at that time "sharp". Once I got there, I found the venue unopened and watched some bouncers arguing with some kids over something silly. I split to grab some breakfast with friends, and later found out The Ting Tings didn't play at all.

I was pleased to find an invite in my mailbox once I got home to see them play the Mercury Lounge last night, and I'm glad I went. They turned in a short but super-sweet set of their dancy rock tunes, recalling Blondie, The Gossip, Missing Persons, The Go Team, and at times singer/guitarist Katie White reminded me very much of Wendy James of the late great Transvision Vamp.

Their album, We Started Nothing, hits streets here on June 3rd, and I'm sure several tracks from that disc will be dancefloor staples throughout the summer.

Here they are from that show last night doing "That's Not My Name":




The Ting Tings - Great DJ (Calvin Harris Remix) MP3
courtesy of Check The Availability

Links:
Official Site
MySpace
Bebo
Mailing List

No comments: