Wednesday, December 07, 2005

John of The Long Winters Would Rather Talk About Girls Underwear, Frankly.


John Roderick of The Long Winters recently responded to extrawack!'s short year-end poll, and thankfully actually pondered the questions rather than just answer quickly...here's what he had to say:

1. What was your favorite song of 2005?

I know it's unsportsmanlike to not "just answer the question", but I
hate top-ten lists, or "favorite song" lists. It seems like our
culture is increasingly focused on what "other people" or "the cool
kids" or "your favorite stars" are eating and wearing and listening to,
and I really think it represents the death of thinking.


2. What was your favorite album of 2005?

I mean, I'm a musician, so of course I listened to a lot of bands and
saw a lot of shows this year. But listing my favorite song and album
on another web poll is just creating white noise, I think. The most
that anyone will do is cross-check my list against their own, or some
other fella's, to either make sure that so-and-so band is on there, or
be surprised that so-and-so band isn't on there. It's some kind of
ant-like, iTunes busy-work, checking boxes and making sure the doors
are latched. I'd rather talk about girls underwear, frankly.


3. What was your favorite live show of 2005?

I know that music and bands are a way for people to mark time. You
liked this band back then, and now you like this other band. Remember
that show? What a great show that was. But music starts to lose its
magical power when it becomes a commodity. 40 gigs of music on your
iPod? It's insane! That said, KEANE are pretty fantastic to see live.


4. What was your favorite thing about 2005?
A-ha! Yes! My favorite thing about 2005 is that I dug all my old,
thrift-store, vintage suits out of the closet, which I hadn't worn in
several years, and realized they all still fit and were all still
awesome. So I started wearing them again and now am looking sharp.


5. What is your biggest wish for 2006?

I hope that I get better at playing the piano.

The Long Winters excellent new EP, Ultimatum, can be purchased directly from one of the best things about Seattle, Barsuk Records.

Photo courtesy of jomamased.

No comments: