Wednesday, June 07, 2006

stellastarr* still excellent live...Nada Surf not too shabby either.

Went to the "invite-only" Nada Surf/stellastarr* show at the Starland Ballroom in Central Jersey last night...

I hadn't seen stellastarr* in quite a while, and thought they were great...in fact much better than last time I'd seen them. Steady touring (including their recent co-headlining stint with Editors) obviously have paid off. They played a solid set to a crowd of whom probably 80% had not heard of them, and won them over quite handily.

They played a new song they claimed had not ever been performed live before, which was upbeat and dancy in a Killers kind of way, which in my book is a good thing.

Reminder to self...don't miss them the next time they headline a show in the area.









Nada Surf also turned in a fine and spunky set. I'm a sucker for power pop punkiness, and these guys are chock full o' it. I was amazed at how many people there seemed to know every word to every song.



All in all, a killer bill. I think I've said it here before, but I'll say it again...it's so much more fun to see bands at Starland than in the city with people who are totally there for the music and a good time, rather than to yap to each other about which guest lists they were on at the same band's gigs in NYC.

No comments: