Saturday, August 12, 2006

In Boston With Yeah Yeah Yeah's, TV On The Radio, The New Year, and Nina Nastasia

I'm in Boston for a while for work, and have managed to already catch a couple of amazing shows while I'm here...

Thursday night was a free Yeah Yeah Yeah's/TV On The Radio show at City Hall. Incredibly fun, great sound, and a very cool crowd of about 12,000 people with no problems at all.

Great review, photos, and video at Ryan's Smashing Life!.

Review and photos at sponsor Boston Phoenix's site.

Last night I caught The New Year and Nina Nastasia at The Middle East. Nina is a remarkable storyteller and sweet guitar player, whose four minute songs feel like mini-movies full of situations and emotions that make you anxious to see how each vignette ends. It's no wonder she was a favorite of the late John Peel. Her new Albini-produced album is out in September on Fat Cat.

The couple songs I was able to see by The New Year (before I had to split to catch the last T train back to the hotel...) were fantastic slow throbbers that made me want to kick myself that I couldn't stay for the whole set. Met up with Murf from False 45th who drove three hours from his stately Vermont compound to catch the show. I questioned his sanity for making that kind of drive before the show, but even after hearing only a portion of The New Year's set, I totally get it.

The New Year - "Disease" mp3
The New Year - "Chinese Handcuffs" mp3

No comments: