Friday, March 30, 2007

Of Black Lips and Amy Winehouse...A Couple Questions With Aziz Ansari & Paul Scheer of MTV's Human Giant

Next Thursday (April 5) marks the debut of Human Giant, the new comedy series from the gang of the same name, on MTV at 10:30pm EST.

By now you've seen clips all over better websites and blogs featuring the show's creators and stars, Aziz Ansari, Paul Scheer, and Rob Huebel. Video director Jason Woliner is credited as the fourth member of Human Giant, but is not performing on screen because (according to MTV's profile of him) he "peaked at age 7 with the role of "Bratty Kid" in the film Weekend At Bernies.


The clips from the show that we've seen are nuts, and it's hard not to root for these guys to have insane success with this show chock full of insane shorts and cool style and direction.


extrawack! asked Aziz and Paul, two of NYC's hippest funnymen (or is it funniest hipsters?) to answer a handful of questions on the eve of the show's launch:


--You guys are all bi-coastal now...Who's got the best live music scene...NY or LA?

Aziz- NY

Paul- For the most part I think it's a pretty fair split, all the good
bands play in both places. You just have to know where to go.
However, I love NYC's venues more than LA's but I'm still a newbie,
so they might grow on me.


--What concert are you most looking forward to in the near future?

Aziz- LCD Soundsystem at Bowery this weekend! Also the Sasquatch Music Festival and Coachella.

Paul- The one band I really wanted to see at SXSW was "The Pipettes" and I
missed them like 5 times. I was so bummed so I really want to see
them and I also want to see Amy Winehouse before she OD's which
should probably be in the next month or so. So I have to get on that.


--Whats the best music you've downloaded lately?

Aziz- Black Lips, Eccentric Soul: Twinight's Lunar Rotation

Paul- I am listening to "Albert Hammond Jr" and "The Good the Bad and the
Queen" and I'm really into "Girls in Hawaii", I downloaded their
album a few weeks ago and I love it. I think it came out a while ago
though.

--If you could add any one person in the world to the Human Giant troupe, who would it be?

Aziz- Hmm.. I'm happy with how things are now. We got to work with a lot of people we really admired and it was great. Probably the two biggest heroes of mine that I've yet to meet are Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

Paul- Easy: Tom Selleck

--If Human Giant takes off and you end up making crazy Chappelle money and Michel Gondry comes calling, who are you gonna hire to play your Block Party?

Aziz- LCD Soundsystem, The Rapture, Radiohead, Girl Talk, Arcade Fire?

Paul- I don't know if anyone would come to my Block Party but here's the
lineup:
Andrew WK, The Cast From Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Musical,
Beck, Ludracris, Foo Fighters, Pixies, Radiohead, Rilo Kiley, and Weezer.


--------------------------

Black Lips - "Stranger" mp3

Girl Talk - "Bounce That" mp3

The Rapture - "Woo Alright, Yeah Uh-Huh" mp3

---------------------------

HUMAN GIANT presents: CAMPING WEEKEND

No comments: