Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Songs that are witty, witty and pretty

Bob F. should have known if he left me with the keys to extrawack, I'd find a way to go on about the Swedepoppers. And so I will.






I wrote a little something about Pelle Carlberg around the time his first album, Everything, Now! came out. And I'm going to write a little something more now.

Why, you ask?

Because I've been utterly fixated - obsessed, even - for months with the spare loveliness of "Musikbyrån Makes Me Wanna Smoke Crack," off that debut album. Gently morose as it may be, it is also, in my humble opinion, the best song about existential angst and the death of Warren Zevon that I've ever heard. Thanks to Youtube, you can check a live version of it here:



Plus a bonus Youtube pick - A live cover of "Rocket Man", also from his recent Italian tour.

Another reason? Because he wrote a song called "Clever Girls Like Clever Boys Much More Than Clever Boys Like Clever Girls." Too precious a title, you say? You haven't even heard the song yet. I don't know, but I'm hoping this one is on the next disc.

And because, while Carlberg's first solo efforts have taken a while to collect reviews and attention stateside, Carlberg's newest album is coming out at the end of the month. By "coming out," I do mean over in Europe, not here. But maybe you live in Europe. Maybe you're going there or you know someone who knows someone who can get you stuff from there without paying an arm and a leg. I'll probably wait till it gets released here, but in the meantime, here's a spring-tinged little duet off it: I Love You, You Imbecile.


Still no answer to the trivia contest question I put out there earlier today. Lines remain open.

WEDNESDAY EVENING UPDATE:

There's been a couple interesting guesses (is "black grape" really one of the official colors of the University of Maryland Terrapins? That's awesome, if true) but no winner yet in yesterday's sports-music trivia contest. The movie's been correctly guessed though, and I figured I'd give you a subtle hint (I think - maybe I'm off my rocker) via this lovingly arranged, copyright-defying Youtube tribute clip. Enjoy it while you hem and haw over your brackets a little more.

No comments: