Monday, August 15, 2005

Draggin' At Warped


As if the PGA thing wasn't enough to warrant a good sunburn, I spent yesterday out in the sun at Warped at the lovely Raceway Park in Englishtown, volunteering at the One/Oxfam table.

I'm not a huge fan of the formulaic stuff that passes as punk these days, but I heard a couple of bands that caught my ear in a good way. I really enjoyed the set from The Kinison (shown at left), who were a lot less screamy then I'd heard they'd be. I also dug Hangar 18(below),a Definitive Jux crew whom I caught under the hip-hop tent.
I also got to hang with my soccer pals Millencolin, who brought out skate legend Steve Caballero to play guitar for a bit, and I stopped and grooved to Mae's set on my way outta there.

The highlight of the day, aside from all the good work we did for Oxfam, was when some befuddled traffic guy, trying to get me to the working crew parking lot, inadvertently sent me out down one of the raceway's actual drag strips. I totally wanted to punch it, but the combination of my Scion's tiny engine and the multitude of local cops around kept me to a top speed of 40 MPH. Photo of my trip down the strip (through the bug-ridden windshield) and a couple more show photos are below:





No comments: